Sunday, March 4, 2012

Thomas Hooker

My find today comes from my Father's paternal side.  As you look back in history on this side of the family, there are several prestigious ancestors.  Eventually, I will list them all here, but for now I will share my most recent find - Thomas Hooker.  Thomas is my 9th great grandfather.  I already had his granddaughter, Mary Hooker (married to Rev. James Pierpont, founder of Yale University), in my tree since I had done some research into the Pierpont Family which is connected down the line to the Bradley Family.  However, I had never gone any further on Mary until today which led me to Thomas.  Apparently, my 9th great grandfather led a group of men through the "wilderness" to find new land and ultimately became the founder of the Colony of Connecticut!  In fact, he is considered the founder of the city of Hartford and the State of Connecticut.  He is also cited by many as the inspiration for the "Fundamental Orders of Connecticut," cited by some as the world's first written democratic constitution that established a representative government.  It is said that Thomas Hooker was the first American Democrat.  Thomas' name is on plaques and Statues throughout Connecticut today and the State celebrates Thomas Hooker Day annually just before Halloween.

There is a little less out there about his wife.  What I do know is that her name was Susanna Garbrand and that she was a Lady-in-waiting for Joan Drake, the wife of Sir Francis Drake.  Apparently, Thomas lived with the Drake's for a time and fell in love with Susanna.  They married in Joan's hometown of Amersham, Buckinghamshire, England and named their first child (which I have as Joanna) after her.  More to come...

Thomas Hooker Statue at the Old State House: The Statue and Plaque Reads: - West Elevation – THOMAS HOOKER 1586-1647 Founder of Hartford Pastor - Statesman - "The foundation of authority is laid firstly in the Free Consent of the People." - South Elevation - "The choice of public magistrates, belongs unto the people, by God’s own allowance. And it is in their power, also, to set the bounds and limitations of the power and place, unto which they call them." - East Elevation – Leading his people through the wilderness, he founded Hartford, in June 1636. Two years later he preached the historic sermon, which inspired the Fundamental Orders, and sowed the seeds of free Constitutional government in America. - North Elevation – "As God has given us Liberty, let us take it." - Bronze Plaque – To the People of Hartford from the Society of the Descendants of the Founders of Hartford, October 1950.

No comments:

Post a Comment